2012-2013 Dare to Stand Out Regional Conferences
What is Dare to Stand Out (DTSO)?
DTSO are regional conferences targeted to youth and educators surrounding the issues of homophobia, transphobia, bullying, intersectional violence, and discrimination in schools. It’s a full day of workshops, speakers, and resources specifically designed to suit the needs of your community.
How do these Conferences Dare to Stand Out?
Jer's Vision does its best to reach out to communities across Canada that have urgent need of diversity programming and workshops in regions where educators and youth require support, resources, and/or training. These conferences then become a collaboration between local, on the ground organizations with Jer's Vision's national resources, ensuring an event that is both unique to the region and yet up-to-date with the issues that are being faced on a wider scale. Dare to Stand Out isn't just aboult skill-building on an individual level, but creating sustainable, vibrant networks on a community level.
See if a DTSO Conference is happening in your region!
- National Capital Region: Teacher Ally Training with uOttawa (Ottawa) Sept 29, 2012
- Région de la capitale nationale: Conférence francophone (Ottawa) Oct 19, 2012
- National Capital Region: Youth Leadership (Ottawa) Oct 19, 2012
- Ontario North East (Sudbury) Nov 16, 2012
- Manitoba: StandOUT! GSA/Diversity Provincial Conference (Winnipeg) Nov 19, 2012
- National Capital Region: Hep C Forum (Ottawa) Dec 4-7, 2012
- British Columbia & Yukon (Vancouver) Jan 21, 2013
- Ontario Centre (Kingston) Feb 28, 2013
- Alberta (Edmonton) Mar 18, 2013
- Maritime (Sydney) Mar 23, 2013
- Ontario South: Rainbow Coalition Conference (Guelph) Apr 9, 2013
- National Capital Region: Rainbow Day / Parliament Hill Mentor Day (Ottawa) Apr 16, 2013
- National Capital Region: Anti-Bullying (Ottawa) Apr 24 & 25, 2013
- Ontario North West (Sault St. Marie) May 7, 2013
- Lanark County (Brockville) May 17, 2013
- National Capital Region: A Cultural Field Trip for LGBTQ Youth (Ottawa) May 30, 2013
There will also be additional conferences for the Catholic School Boards & Middle Schools that are by invitation only.
How can YOU get involved?
- Register to attend a DTSO conference as a youth or educator! Check out the links above for more information or go here to register: http://www.jersvision.org/en/dare-stand-out-2012-2013-registration-form.
Offer to do a free workshop for your regional DTSO. Please fill out this Presenter Proposal Form and email it to email@example.com.
Volunteer with the local DTSO near you! Our conferences always need volunteers to help with registration, workshop logistics, greeting conference participants, and ensuring that the event is a success for everyone.
Didn't see a DTSO happening near you? Partner with Jer's Vision to organize a conference in your region for next year! You need to be able to contact local organizations, schools, and youth community centers, but we'll work with you every step of the way to get a DTSO established in your area.
Donate to Jer's Vision! We need 50 new individual donors (like YOU) to donate $5 a month to help us engage 1500 youth at our conferences. At only $2 per youth, and for the monthly cost of a latté, you will be investing in the only LGBTQ and diverse youth events that support youth and teach them to engage in their community, so they can make their schools safer. Sign up here!